CNC USB Controller: Settings

Anything and everything to do with a Routakit SD!

Moderator: Atonwa

JoshA

CNC USB Controller: Settings

Postby JoshA » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:37 pm

Hello, everyone!

Attached to this post is a ZIP file containing default settings for a stock Routakit SD.

To use this file simply download
RoutakitSD.zip
(8.67 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
to your computer, extract the .setting file, launch the CNC USB Controller software, navigate to "File -> Import Settings ...", and open the file.

These settings are what we find to work well for the electronics supplied in the Starter Kit. Naturally, if you have different electronics then you will need to change the settings to accomodate them.

Also, please refer to this guide from Planet CNC for setting up your machine.

NOTE: Be wary when attempting to Home the machine for the first time. I experienced an unusual issue when homing where the limit switches delayed response during homing (up to 4 seconds!) even though the switches respond just fine during normal operation. This could cause the machine to ram into the switches! Please check that you do not have this issue by manually triggering the switches during your first homing attempt. I've notified Planet CNC of this problem and am awaiting a response. When we find the problem/solution, I will make a special note of it here. :)

I will update this post with any important information!

If you need help with anything related to the software settings for Starter Kit electronics, feel free to ask here! We will answer any questions to the best of our abilities.

Plotter

Re: CNC USB Controller: Settings

Postby Plotter » Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:04 am

This is the latest on the homing/limit switch issue.
http://forum.planet-cnc.com/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2159

RobL

Postby RobL » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:12 pm

Not sure if this should go here - I was going to trial VCarve. What post processor do we want to save the toolpaths?
Rob
Routakit SD Kickstarter Edition

LouisV

Postby LouisV » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:13 pm

I believe it's cnc usb, so .nc. I'll check to verify

Scott C.

Postby Scott C. » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:22 pm

Is the CNC USB powered from the USB cable? I see power terminals by the USB jack , but they aren't used in the pciture or mentioned in the instructions.

LouisV

Postby LouisV » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:26 pm

Yes, the controller itself as well as the limit switches are powered by the USB cable from the computer. The drivers that run the steppers are powered by the 24v power brick.

Also, to answer the other question. I verified that in VCarve it is USBCNC and it should be a .nc file.

Scott C.

Postby Scott C. » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:09 pm

Whats the proper setup for the dip switches and jumpers on the driver boards? The assembly pics looks different then what mine shipped out as (I'm assuming everyone else too). Looks like jumper to 2.5A and dip switch 3 on, is that correct?

LouisV

Postby LouisV » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:28 pm

Yes that's correct. I'll have to cross check with Josh to make sure though.

JoshA

Postby JoshA » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:52 pm

Yes, the jumper is in the 2.5A position and the third dip switch is on. I would suggest changing them to match what's shown in the assembly pic to keep everything consistent with what we've confirmed to work. This is especially true if you'll also be using the settings provided here.

Scott C.

Postby Scott C. » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:57 am

After loading the settings from the zip file, the steps per unit show up as:
Z - 1355.0011
X -1355.0011
Y - 583.2272

Is this correct? Or do we have to follow this procedure ----> http://www.planet-cnc.com/faq/spu/

Return to “Routakit SD”